May 22, 2011

Quick and Painless Treats

It has been a week almost since I had a fluoroscope and pain relief into my hip joint, it is about 70% better, so I feel I am coping much better. I know it is a temporary measure, however if it gets no better than this for now, I will be happy enough as my quality of my life has improved due to it.. I knew it was working when I could vacuum the whole house, do a basket of ironing and still bend to pick up some fallen pegs under the washing line.. I could not have done one of those things a week ago without needing to rest for an hour or so afterwards.. After several months of this, I feel like I have some control back and it;s blissful.
Today I wanted to bake.. Bran muffins with sultanas but for the life of me I could not find the jar of wheat bran flakes I had, one of liefs little mysteries as it is not in any of my cupboards - back to the drawing board, well recipe book actually. I found a recipe that may have been used back in the days of rationing during the war. No eggs and a scant tablespoon of butter... Sultana Loaf

Into a bowl put 1 cup of either sultanas, raisins, mixed fruit or a combination, add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon golden syrup, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Pour in 1 cup of boiling water, stirring gently until the butter has all melted.

Add to this 2 cups of plain flour and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.  Moving quickly as the mixture is warm and the raising agents will start to act..stir until just combined. Do Not over mix!

 Put into a lined tin, and bake in an oven pre heated to 180c for about 40 minutes or until it is cooked.


Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before, turning onto a cooling rack.

This was so easy to whip up, I am going to remember this one for those days we need something nice in a hurry.

3 OF YOU SAID:

Enchanted Moments said...

That looks lovely, and yes, sounds like an oldey recipe, ( a goodey then..) I hope you are able to get some more relief this week...

Lisa said...

That sultana loaf sounds like a keeper!
I hope the pain relief lasts for a good while, it's no fun being in constant pain.
Take care

C said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks yummy x x glad your pain free-ish for a while x x

Post a Comment

Thank you for you stopping by at Butterflies and Breezes. I always love receiving comments and I look forward to reading yours.