Mar 25, 2011

Witchin' in my kitchen

Well, with a few days of cooler weather and that wonderful autumn breeze blowing in, came a day of kitchen contentment. Early in the day, I had an autumn clean, bit like a spring clean in March. I dusted, vacuumed, tidied out the laundry and the linen cupboard, polished the copper and brass bits about the house, I even did a bit of razzle dazzle to the windows before putting some lavender buds and calendula petals into some oil to infuse. Wth them set on the window ledge, I thought about making a large pot of soup - my husband who is not well with a pretty nasty head cold would appreciate for a late lunch. With the kitchen window wide open, I could feel the wonderful south westerly breeze coming in as I chopped the veges.
Now I do not know if any other of you pick up your vegetables and smell them while chopping... I do unashamedly. Swedes..
I cup them gently and really take in the fragrance..  the aroma of these beautiful old fashioned globes, speak to me of cool days, loamy soil and secrets held deep within the earth, yet when you taste them they are sweet and succulent.. they do wonders for my Pagan heart :-)
This is what they were added to.. some good old fashioned chicken soup, good for the soul they say.. good for the tummy I think. 
While this was bubbling away, I took the dough that had been in the bread maker and fashioned them into some Rosemary Bread Rolls.. these things are so good. The recipe came from The Pioneer Woman Cooks
These bread rolls are the best and a firm favorite in our house, not light on the calories but who's going to worry about that with soup. Besides gives me a chance to give my skillet a workout.

And lastly a bunch of cookies, now these are also from the Pioneer Woman cooks.. I have the book, but the recipe is here.. Oatmeal Crisps  Being in Australia I dont have access to Crisco and use plain butter works just fine, I also drop the sugar buy 1/4 cup. This recipe makes a lot of biscuits, which is great if you can get them to last.

2 OF YOU SAID:

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

Hang on, wait for me! I coming for lunch....

Miss Robyn said...

I love the way you describe the swedes! brilliant.
[how did I find you? hmm followed a link then another and another :) ]
I live in NSW!

Post a Comment

Thank you for you stopping by at Butterflies and Breezes. I always love receiving comments and I look forward to reading yours.